Friday, December 25, 2009

Traditional Christmas morning breakfast

So I thought I would share this real quick. It is the same thing that I make every single Christmas morning for breakfast. It is so quick and easy. You make it the night before and just toss it in the oven the morning you are going to eat it. I don't even know the real name for it.
So I just thought I would share this.

Toasted egg bake....sounds like a good name to me.

You will need:
A large baking dish..like a cake pan size.
Depending on how large your pan is depends on how many eggs and how many loafs of bread you will need.
Cheese
Sausage

Spray your pan with non stick cooking spray.

Brown and crumble your breakfast sausage. I usually use about 2 pounds. Let cool while you work on the rest of the stuff.
Take eggs. For my big cake pan I usually use about 2 dozen eggs.
Scramble them all up in a bowl and add a little salt and pepper. Add just a bit of cheese as well.
Add the cooked sausage to the uncooked egg mixture.
Take the bread. This bread does not have to be fresh...I usually go for the clearance bread or cheap cheap bread at the store.
Cut all the cust off of all the bread. Then cut each piece of bread in half. Line the bottom and all the sides and corners of the pan with the bread.
Now pour the egg and sausage mixture over the bread.
Now top the entire thing with cheese.
Cover with foil and put into the fridge until the next morning.

The next morning. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In heated oven place the dish into the oven, with foil still on. Bake for about 45 minutes. You just have to check it really. If I use more eggs and the mixture is thicker, I give it longer in the oven to make sure it is cooked all the way through. About 10 to 15 minutes before I am going to take it out of the oven, I remove the foil.
Let it bake for the remaining time with the foil off.
When it is done, take it out of the oven and slice up like a cake and serve. My kids don't like anyting with it, cause it really is a meal all in itself.
The bottom of it is softer, and the bread that is left sticking up on the sides gets a little crunchy. That is my favorite part. It works out good because the kids like the middle pieces the best and me and Jacob like the outside pieces. So works out good for all of us.

My mom used to make this every now and then on Christmas morning, and then many years ago I started making it, and then it just kind of became a tradition for us and now I make it every year. One year we took 4 pans of it to Jacobs moms house on Christmas morning. Last year Jacob had to work Christmas day, so I sent 3 pans of it with him to work that morning....well I sent 2 pans and everyone loved it so much and ate it so fast, I took out another pan that I had just as extra (good thing I did).

Enjoy!

0 comments: