Monday, March 30, 2009

Crafty stuff and thrifty shopping

I thought I would share a few crafty things I have been working on in the mounds of wedding stuff.
So when we were at David's Bridal the other day I really liked two different head pieces. I liked the one with alot of rhinestones on it because it was sparkly. Then I really liked the one with the pearls too, because it just looked nice, but it wasn't as shiny and sparkly. Well we got this one instead. A LOT less in price too. So this is what it started out looking like.
Then I added my own pearls to it, and made it the best of both head pieces. It has the pearls that I really liked from the one, and all the rhinestones that make it sparkly too. I like how it turned out.

Then here is the guest book. It started out a creamy color with a creamy colored bow and ribbon on it. I glimmer misted it in Sapphire several times to get this deep color. Then I tied a white satin ribbon around and tied a bow. Then I added glimmer misted flowers and light blue rhinestones and the pearl swirls. I love how it turned out. I was originally going to put the letters to spell out GUESTS, but I don't think I am going to do that anymore. I don't want it to look too busy, and I think it will clutter it up.

I wanted to share these because I got them today. I have big plans for these guys and a few of their brothers that are still at Home Depot. I can't wait to get started on this project.

I have been reading around on the internet and tons of blogs lately and people have been talking about finding such great things at thrift stores. So today I went into one. I had just told my mom THIS morning that I wanted to find a little black lamp to put in the kids bathroom on the counter. Not as the main source of light, but just as an accent, and like could be used as a night light. So we are doing the kids' bathroom in grey and black. I walk in and look what I found for $4.00. SOLD. I am going to give it a coat of black glossy spray paint to freshen it up and it will look great when we are all done in the bathroom. I am so excited to get started on all the home decore projects I have in mind. I have so many things going right now, I have no idea why I do that to myself. After the wedding I can really focus on those things. I also found this table at the thrift store that I REALLY REALLY want. It was $60.00 though. I just can't swing that right now. The gave me a flyer for their sales, and Friday is half off day. So if the table is still there and eligible for the discount, I just might snatch that sucker up right then and there. I want to spray paint it black and I know exactly where I would put it in the living room.
I don't know what happened to me lately. I have been ready so much about people finding such great things at thrift stores and I am so hooked on going and finding great things too. They had a really nice looking bookcase too. I don't remember how much it was, but with a nice coat of white paint for our bedroom it would look great with some books and the scrapbooks on it. Man I think I really want that too. Darn it, what am I getting myself into? But it is so much fun. My family used to laugh at me because I change the color of my bedroom so often and I would just spray paint everything to match the new color. Hey one mans trash is anothers treasure. I don't mind buying things from garage sales and stuff. I think it is fun to find a treasure.
I just don't get a chance to go often. So I think I am going to make it a point to do it more often this spring and summer. Make a day out of it. I remember when we would do that as a kid. We would get the paper and start out first thing in the morning and drive from one garage sale to another. I am excited at the possibility of what great finds I am going to find. But for now I just really hope that the thirft store will have both pieces of furniture that I want.

3 comments:

Jennifer Priest said...

Awesome! I love all the bargain hunting. And the way you altered the head piece for your wedding. Miss seeing you!

cheryl McAdam said...

Welcome to the wild world of junkin! Isn't it a thrill when you find just the thing you were looking for(and usually a lot more) at a thrift store, or garage sale? I love it! Ok, you need to post that picture of your guest book to the Tattered Angels blog, it is BE-UTIFUL! That headpiece is to die for! You amaze me.

Gabrielle said...

Gorgeous job on the pearls! You can't even see how you got them on there! WOW!

Love the bargins! Super cute lamp!