Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Framed Butterfly Art

I just got done hanging this above the crib and wanted to share.
I have been wanting to make a butterfly framed picture for above the crib since I knew we were having a girl. It started out in my mind totally different, but I went with this and I love it.
I am not happy with the pink on the frame though. The pink craft paint I had just isn't the same shade of pink as in the bedding and now it is bothering me. So I am going to repaint the frame. I might stick with pink, but I might go back to white like I was originally going to do and a pink ribbon to hang it with, but I haven't decided for sure yet.

Here it is upclose. Really simple and easy, but I just love that I made it and it matches her area.

I added just a hint of red, since there is actually quite a bit of red in the bedding. Then I found this love definition quote in all of my stash, and loved it, so I added it in there as well. Which worked out great since I needed to cover up a little rip in the butterfly anyways.

For the longest time last night I just sat and stared at the picture because I just didn't know what direction it was taking me, and i wasn't happy with how it was turning out. Then I found this turquoise cardstock in my stash and it all just came together. Now let me tell you this paper matches the turqouise in the bedding PERFECTLY. I love when things like that happen.
For the actual project I found the frame in my stash of unused frames and decided it was just the perfect size. The frame was a goldish color and always had every intention of painting it white. (It was a total last minute decision to go with pink).
I went in search of papers that matched in my paper stash. I found this orange paper and liked it right away. I wish it was a little brighter orange, not as muted, but I loved the dots on it like in the bedding. So I cut it to the size I wanted to fit into the frame. Then I cut the butterfly image from my silhouette on a regular 81/2 x 11 piece of white cardstock. I then decided I wanted some pink in there, so I cut the butterfly again in the pink paper and just cut off the leafy part and glued it down over the white part on the butterfly. While looking through buttons and stuff, just for ideas I found the turquoise brad. PERFECT match again. Then that is what made me search for the turquoise paper. Lucky again. I added the string under the brad, and the turquoise swirls. It was just coming together so well. I then added all the little pearls for a little more girly touch. Then I added the love definition and I thought it looked good. I still was staring at it, but sometimes I have to learn that less is more and sometimes you can over do it. lol. So then I painted the frame and glued some ribbon on the back.
**note: our staple gun wouldn't work, so I just taped the ribbon to the back. The ribbon really isn't holding the frame up on the wall. The frame is hanging on a nail, and then I put a clear tack in the wall to make it appear like that is what is holding the frame to the wall**

1 comments:

Jennifer Priest said...

Super cute! Love the bedding you chose too--SWEET!